Tuesday 27 May 2014

Jabs Jabs Jabs

Two down, one to go! 


Being a parent really does have it's ups and downs. It's hard at times, incredible emotional and wonderful all at once. Another milestone I wasn't warned about, was jabs. I remember when Harry was just an ickle bubba he had his heal prick test which I found highly traumatic. It of course is nothing and Harry forgot about it in a matter of seconds. Jabs are in our case, quite a different story. 

Jabs come in three batches (there is one more when they are one year old)

2 months

5-in-1 (DTaP/IPV/Hib) vaccine – this single jab contains vaccines to protect against five separate diseases: diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough (pertussis), polio and Haemophilus influenzae type b (known as Hib  a bacterial infection that can cause severe pneumonia or meningitis in young children)

3 months

Rotavirus vaccine, second dose

4 months

In my case, I was ill prepared for the first set, very prepared for the second and am dreading the third! First time round, I didn't really know what to expect. Harry let off a giant scream when the needle went in and then seemed fine. I listened to the nurse who said to only give him Calpol if he had a fever/seemed out of sorts.The drive home was calm and I even felt that he was normal enough for me to meet a friend for a coffee. Well, this was a horrific mistake. Within mere seconds of me entering the coffee shop, Harry had transformed into a different baby. Screaming, red faced and clearly in pain. I quickly packed up my bits (whilst doing my best to avoid the highly judgemental looks from other patrons of this particular Starbucks) and headed home.
As soon as I arrived home I gave him some Calpol which helped a great deal. He slept a few hours and woke ravenous. However for the next three days things were shakey. He didn't want to be put down (apart from at night), had diarrhoea and a little fever. I knew from the nurse that these symptoms were normal so wasn't panicking at all, I was just desperate for him to feel better. It's such an awful thing, not being able to explain to your little bubba why they feel rubbish. After three days my boy was back and it was as if the whole painful episode had never taken place.
Taking on board the advice from my mum, rather than the nurse round two was different. As I arrived at the doctors surgery I gave Harry some Calpol. As soon as the jabs were done (I swear the scream was louder this time round) I headed home, dimmed the lights, put on some soothing music and lulled him to sleep. He woke a few hours later, again ravenous and uncomfortable. I fed him and gave him some baby Nurofen. After which I took him for a long walk. This really helped and whilst he didn't seem 100% himself, this avoided the fever and pained cries. Whilst we was "out of sorts" for a few days (outbreaks of crying, very unlike him) he was much better this time, in part I am sure because I was much calmer and much better prepared.
Round three is in two weeks (delayed due to a holiday) and I know I will even calmer and even better prepared this time. I am not saying you should do as I did as every baby is different and every parent is different, but I will say that there is little information out there on how to prep for the jabs. This blog post has been written merely to show that you live and learn. Don't panic, don't stress, just try and prepare as much as possible and try to listen to your baby.
Jabs are horrible, but they do more good than harm and whilst it might not seem like it at the time, your babies will thank you for putting them through it in the long run!
Man, I am dreading the third round!!

No comments:

Post a Comment